Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Missing Piece

Last weekend I had the chance to travel with the UNSW Honours volleyball team to their tournament in Newcastle. It was an amazing weekend FULL of volleyball and lots of laughing.  The girls on the team are all great and they welcomed me in with open arms.  During the games I played various positions but I didn't really care since I was finally playing competitively for the first time since high school.  I couldn't help but get lost in a little bit of nostalgia when I remembered tournaments with the varsity girls from Norrix and how volleyball ultimately played a big role in making me into the person that I am today.  I was told once that when you're meant to do something, you feel the most at home doing that thing.  I've had a few of those moments in my life, and last weekend should be added to that list.  With a ball and a net, it doesn't matter how many miles away I am, I'll always feel like I belong.  I played for the Honours team, which is the top division, and we lost in the semi-finals.  After the tournament I was informed that it wouldn't be beneficial to the team if I continued to come to practices since I'm only here for another month.  It was a humbling and disappointing moment for sure, but we all need some of those once in awhile.  And now that the pictures have been posted, I'm still thrilled that I had the opportunity and had a blast getting to play again.  Wherever I go I feel like volleyball will always be the "missing piece" that makes things come together for me.  Plus now I can say that I was an international athlete!


Warming up hits before the game
Serving

No comments:

Post a Comment