Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Studying (No Really, Actually Studying) Abroad

As I turn in a paper for my psychology class and my mind turns to my next assignment, a field report for my fossils class, I'm reminded that I actually have work to do while I'm here...who knew? Our final exam schedule was released this morning and I was more than a little disappointed to find out that I have two exams while my mom will be here, but I know we'll figure out a way to make it work.

In the meantime, the months of May and June are incredibly busy with school work and exams, as well as a new obligation; playing for the UNSW volleyball team. I missed tryouts (which were 2 months ago) but I met the right people at the right time and learned that they needed girls for their tournament this coming weekend. I've only been to one practice so far, but loved it.  It felt so incredible to be conditioning and running drills in a real practice again..it's been more than 3 years since my last one.  I'm also looking forward to the tournament this weekend..if the girls on the team are any indication of the level of play, it seems that I'll fit right in..kind of funny how I can get back into the swing of things so easily with this sport..must mean that I really like it or something :)

When I think about everything that has happened this semester, in relation to the school itself, I can't help but realize that this is the college experience that I had always been hoping for but never really found at UofM:

- a class that I immediately fell in love with/a major I would love to have
- enjoying walking to and through campus everyday (however, this could be due to the weather alone)
- living near beaches, rainforests, a big city, harbors, cafes, National parks and lots of hiking
- no stressful pressure on grades (and not just because I'm study abroad...it's just the general attitude towards them here)
- happy and friendly students who don't seem to be stratified by any outward labels (i.e., recognizable athletes, greek system, etc.), or affected by an attitude of arrogance and self-importance
- teachers who know my name even in large lectures
- a church to attend regularly
- playing competitive volleyball

With all this considered, it's probably going to be an incredibly frustrating transition back to Ann Arbor in the fall, but I hope I can use this semester to help make UofM into what I need it to be for senior year.  And regardless, I know that come spring I'm going to feel proud to be graduating as a Wolverine.

1 comment:

  1. You go girl!!! Have lots of fun playing volleyball

    Looking forward to the next adventure of your trip to the outback.

    ReplyDelete