Friday, February 18, 2011

A Piece of Home


The day that I left the states, my dad gave me a mix cd.  This has become a favorite pastime of his as a self-proclaimed technology pioneer; making mix cds for the big changes in my life. They always have songs that seem to fit every emotion and calm every fear I’m feeling during those transitions and seem to be his way of saying that he and my mom are there for me and understand me more deeply than anyone ever has or will.  I just recently was able to get a chance to listen to this newest one, and it, just like the others, has left me in a curious state of emotions that I can most accurately call joyful sadness, where nostalgia, tears and an overwhelming feeling of security collide.

Here is the track list from the newest cd entitled “To Help in Finding Nemo”

Track 01: Sea of Love by Cat Power
            Tearjerker lyric #1: “Do you remember when we met? That’s the day I knew you were my pet.  I want to tell you how much I love you”
Track 02: Under The Sea (as heard in the Little Mermaid)
            No explanation needed really. I can only hope singing marine creatures sound this good at the Great Barrier Reef.
Track 03: Shark In The Water by V.V. Brown
            This would be a prime example of both my dad’s humor (let’s just say that The Discovery Channel has no shortage of World’s Deadliest Creatures episodes to film in Australia) as well as his unexpected and always surprising knowledge of pop music.
Track 04: I Can See Clearly Now The Rain Is Gone
            Not only an ASP song, but also highly appropriate following the record breaking destruction of this year’s monsoon/cyclone season in Australia.  Metaphorically though, I think you can all understand the deeper meaning, but maybe he was just starting to run out of water-themed song ideas.
Track 05: Something Beautiful by Great Big Sea
            Tearjerker lyric #2: “Every mountain has its bases that make you want to stop, on this so unwelcome journey from the bottom to the top. You’ve got to move along, I believe there’s something beautiful just waiting for you and me”
Track 06: One Day by Matisyahu
            I believe this song was meant to appeal to my passion for social change and making a difference.  I’m excited to find out how my experiences here in Australia will impact the mission work I choose to make a part of my life in the future.
Track 07: Day Dreamer by Donavon Frankenreiter
            When I was 10 years old my parents ordered a series of adventure mystery magazines set in different countries where a new country with new clues about what famous artifact had been stolen and by which cartoon thief, would arrive each month.  The day I completed the Australian book and sat in the basement with Emily reading the list of slang and practicing our Aussie accents, I knew I wanted to live there.  A few years later, when I learned “studying abroad” as the label for this experience, I started dreaming, and 8 years after that: here I am.  Looking back I feel incredibly proud of myself for giving myself the chance to become so dedicated to something and then eventually achieving it.  My intention is to make each day of these next 4 months something memorable.
 “Dream on, dreamer, dream all through the night. Dream on, dreamer, baby that’s alright. Dream on, dreamer, dream all through the day. Dream on, dreamer, baby that’s okay.”
Track 08: Don’t Worry About a Thing by Bob Marley
            A sweet and perfectly-timed reminder of a family inside joke and a song that embodies most of the culture here: “Don’t worry about a thing, cause every little thing’s gonna be alright”
Track 09: Lean On Me (hip-hop remix)
            Another ASP song and the wonderful message that I am not alone, even when I’m 10,000 miles away
Track 10: How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) by James Taylor
            Knowing that James Taylor is the artist that most easily brings me back to my childhood as well as the loving lyrics of this particular song, it’s easy to understand in what way this song holds meaning for me.
Track 11: Life In One Day by Howard Jones
            “Don’t try to live your life in one day, don’t go speed your time away.”
Track 12: Don’t Worry Baby by Beach Boys
            This one, being the second on the cd to mention not worrying with the line: “Don’t worry baby, don’t worry baby, everything will turn out alright,” is a prime example of how well my dad really knows me and my struggle with living in the moment, something I hope to be able to embrace before leaving Australia, as that is pretty much the mantra of the nation. Letting go and giving it up to God has gotten a lot of people to a lot of wonderful places in their lives and I am slowly learning to trust that I am now, and always will be, exactly where and who I’m meant to be. Life’s a lot less stressful that way :)
Track 13: Somewhere Over The Rainbow/ What A Wonderful World by IZ
            Similar to the explanation for Track 07, but also a song from a movie/musical that holds importance to my family.  Also probably the song that my dad and I would sing as a duet in order to become a YouTube sensation if I were still an adorable 5 year-old and he could play the guitar.
“Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high and the dreams that you dream of once in a lullaby. Oh somewhere over the rainbow, bluebirds fly, and the dreams that you dream of, dreams really do come true.”
Track 14: Sailing by Christopher Cross
            “Just a dream and the wind will carry me” 

Mom & Dad- thanks for everything, XOXO

2 comments:

  1. Powerful!!! Words to live by. Love, Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you right back sweetheart! Your writing today brought a tear to my eye! I love the term joyful sadness! Exactly how your mom and I feel about you being gone. So proud that you are independent, a risk-taker, and an adventuresome one, but we miss you of course! Does one say G'day mate as a greeting and a goodbye? G'day mate!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete